International Day of Women and Girls in Science

General News

Yesterday we acknowledged International Day of Women and Girls in Science. Ms Jo Mendoza, Head of Science, reflects on her love of science and why she chose to pursue a career in Science.

My love for the study of science started at a young age and was cultivated by my parents and teachers. I was fortunate in my own experience not to have encountered many of the limitations that other women and girls experience in their pursuit of studying science, however, that is not to say that they are not prevalent today. I hear far too often from our young girls that ‘they are just not good at Science’ well before they have had a chance to really test that out. The International Day of Women and Girls in Science is not only an opportunity to celebrate the women who have shaped and continue to shape their fields of Science, but also a healthy reminder to think about what kind of role models we want to present to young women to remove that perceived limitation and give them the best chance of discovering their skills in these essential areas. I know that this is one of the reasons why I, as well as many of my female colleagues, have chosen to pursue a career in Science Teaching.
Go Back